SEPTEMBER Is Basic Education and Literacy Month
Literacy is at the heart of basic education for all, and essential for eradicating poverty, reducing child mortality, curbing population growth, achieving gender equality and ensuring sustainable development, peace and democracy. Literacy is a significant and specific goal for Rotary. It is so important that it is one of the 6 areas of focus for The Rotary Foundations Future Vision – basic education and literacy. Such importance has been placed on literacy that Rotary International has created a “Rotary Literacy Month” that takes place during the month of September.
Everyone has the right to learn to read, write and enjoy the power, pleasures and independence of being literate. For some the journey will be easy, for others it will take much hard work and unfortunately for approximately 18 percent of today’s world population it will never happen.
How you can help our Club to reduce this statistic:
- Join our Club and contribute to one of the many worldwide literacy programs
- Contribute funds to support existing literacy programs and projects
- Volunteer to collect books to donate to remote schools around Australia and the world via Donations in Kind
- Plan a project that focuses on, and rekindles a passion for literacy and numeracy, and promotes the ideal of a basic education for all
- Report any literacy developments and projects you may be undertaking
- Read to children every day.